The Far North Affiliate had the annual conference on Saturday, Oct. 15.
Overview of details:
- Keynote was author Anna Weltman
- New venue was the Sequoia Conference Center at the district office
- Conference team was effective in catering, evaluations, program, overall planning and organization
- Attendance was bolstered by partnerships with local grants, county and university (HSU)
- Detailed Google Share drive is in place and full of lists, flyers, letters and templates to provide structure for 2017
- President Elect will start 2017
- Fee was increased to $75, with a group rate for the grant participants
- Web page, cmcfn.com was used as platform to organize conference before, during and after
- WE are currently looking for a keynote for next year. It can be difficult to get well-known math educators to travel to the far north with our budget:)
- Gave away two $500 scholarships to Asilomar and traveled with an affiliate team of 8.
- Ended with a 2017 budget of $8900 for next year J
Teams learned a lot and debriefed during the evening hours and the long car ride. Conference was a great learning and networking experience.
Planning for next year’s annual conference:
- Schedule team meetings
- Book venue
- Need keynoter for K-5 attendees
- Start breakout matrix
- Partner with grant agencies RCPLI grant will send 60+ attnedees
- Send out Save the date (Oct 14, 2017) information to sites/email to members
- Review 2016 Share drive to organize 2017 planning.
- Recruit presenters (esp. Primary- hard to get!)
- Include a focus on the content progressions by Bill McCallum
Affecting many sites-student teachers are being recruited as interns with mixed success.